Gate of Heaven Cemetery is seeking a full-time Cemetery Worker to perform responsible semi-skilled work in the repair, maintenance and care of its grounds, landscape and related structures. The main goal of this position is to keep the property in top condition, from a landscape and cleanliness point of view.
1. Have a good working knowledge of and be responsible for maintaining turf, trees, and all plant materials on the grounds as well as pest control, etc.
2. Be familiar with proper seeding, plantings, sodding, pruning, watering and fertilizing methods.
3. Be able to oversee and communicate effectively with employees, outside contractors and seasonal workers.
4. Be able to advise on plant materials suitable for the grounds, as well as design plantings and beds.
5. Take the lead on snow removal in the winter.
6. During slow work periods, assist in the day-to-day operation of the cemetery when asked by the Cemetery Services Supervisor/Superintendent.
Other duties may also include:
- Prepare gravesites for interments and assists in loading/unloading caskets.
2. Repair graves that have settled.
3. Install markers, crypt, and niche plaques.
4. Operate mowing and trimming equipment used in the care and maintenance of the cemetery.
5. Remove flowers and related items from cemetery grounds as directed.
6. Work safely and comply with the Cemetery’s operating procedures, including proper use of protective equipment.
7. Effectively work with others to accomplish tasks.
8. Show respect and sensitivity toward visiting families while working in a physically demanding environment.
9. Additional tasks as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving history and an ability to drive clutch-driven equipment.
- Cemetery work experience is a plus.
- Must be able to operate light duty, motorized equipment.
- Must be able to perform manual labor for extended. periods, often under unfavorable weather conditions.
- Must be able to work as a team member.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively with fellow employees and visiting families.
1. Must be able to pass a background check/drug test.
2. Must be able to stay compliant with the Archdiocesan administered protection policy.
3. Periodic overtime and/or routine weekend work may be required.
4. Must have a valid driver’s license, required insurance coverage, and use of one’s personal automobile for local travel (mileage reimbursed).
Employment is contingent on successful completion of all background checks, drug tests, and the Archdiocese of Cincinnati protection policy requirements.
1. Paid time off
2. Health Insurance
3. Dental Insurance
4. Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs/Other types of insurance
5. Retirement benefits or accounts
6. Employee discounts
7. Parental Leave
8. Education Assistance or Tuition Reimbursement
To apply for this position, please email your resume to:
Jeff Calvert, Cemetery Services Superintendent email@example.com and Jeff Chandler, Cemetery Services Supervisor firstname.lastname@example.org
Or send resume via postal mail to: Jeff Calvart, Superintendent, Gate of Heaven Cemetery, 11000 Montgomery Road, Cincinnati, OH 45249