Gate of Heaven Cemetery, a not-for-profit organization owned and operated by the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, opened in 1947 under Archbishop of Cincinnati, John T. McNicholas. The grounds once comprised in excess of 400 acres consolidated from seven individual family farms. In the days before World War II, and in the early years of the war, seminarians from the Archdiocese worked to produce crops on the land.
Development of the land as the Archdiocesan cemetery began in the mid-1940s, directed by Rev. Norbert J. Miller, with the first interment occurring in 1948. Use of the land grew steadily through the 1950s and 1960s.